bender555

Expunge my record

This depends upon the state in which you were arrested. Most states have statutes related to expunging criminal records. However, there are typically legal "hoops" you must jump through to obtain the expungement. Find a qualified criminal defense lawyer in the geographic area where this happened to give you insight into the process. Good luck.

Even if you'd said where you are, this isn't something someone can walk you through from a message board. If charge was dismissed, then you need only address the topic of the arrest expungement. If the court site in question doesn't have expungement forms and instructions online and a visit to the court doesn't help, then you seek local counsel.

I agree that I wouldn't do this without an attorney. However, to cut costs & do it right. Retrieve in advance as much as you can to assist your attorney. Additionally, check with your local Public Defenders Office, Criminal Court Website, Yellow Pages & State Bar as a resource.

This is an important task in your life & don't this without an attorney. My son actually got a DUI, is now in his first year of college & the DUI Attorney will do the expungement. I'm making payments now because money is tight.I want this done right, records are so easy to access now and don't even do this without an attorney.

Attorneys are really good if paid in advance and I'd start soon. I listed some sites that I used as a guide. Be Good and make this happen! Gina

Santa Clara County Site

http://www.scscourt....m_records.shtml

Public Defenders Site

http://www.sccgov.or...l-Programs.aspx

California State Bar

http://www.calbar.org

Please note that you don't HAVE to use an attorney. Ultimately, it's simply a matter of filling in forms and following instructions (there's often a separate application/process for dealing with the police report records). If your jurisdiction doesn't make forms available and you don't want to spend the time reviewing other similar paperwork, then you use a lawyer.

Regardless of whether or not you use a lawyer, you want to ensure that the information is actually removed by following up and doing a background search, etc.

And note that in this day and age, private databases that vacuum up information from public records are an entirely separate kettle of fish and once that info is out there, they aren't obligated to remove it (though they may) from their database. Legally, once expunged, you're free to say you weren't arrested for the offense in question, but expungement is no guarantee that a given party won't be in a position to get info on the topic.