mcbridemary

landlord wants 25.00 for each grandchild not on lease three ages 4-7

ON FEB1,2012 MY DAUGHTER AND THREE GRANDCHILDREN MOVED IN WITH ME AND MY HUSBAND .I WENT TO MY LANDLORD TO EXPLAIN SHE WOULD BE STAYING WITH ME UNTILL SHE COULD DO BETTER TODA I RECIEVED A LETTER TELLING ME I NEED TO PAY 25.00 FOR EACH PERSON NOT ON THE LEASE SO I WENT TO CONFIRM WHAT I READ THINKING I NEEDED TO PA AN EXTRA 25.00 FOR THE ADULT ONLY TO BE TOLD I NEEDED TO PAY FOR EACH CHILD AGES 8,6,AND 4 IS THIS LEGAL

Whether the landlord may charge more depends on two things: (1) what your lease says and (2) the laws of your state, and you didn’t mention in what state you live. In most states, what it comes down is what the lease says. If the lease says that you can't have additional persons living there, then you'll need to play by the landlord's request for the additional money if you want her to waive that condition in the lease. Also, if the lease says that you can have additional people living there but your rent goes up by $25 for each one, then the landlord can charge you. So, start with your lease. What does it say about having additional people living with you?