ShakingMyHead

Creditor sent me papers that look like court documents

I was sent a letter a month ago stating there is a possible lawsuit being filed against me in the future for a credit card debt. They sent papers that resemble official court documents along with this letter. Is that legal? I am in Michigan.

If this was a collection agency then, depending on the exact nature of the papers, it might be prohibited under federal and Michigan statutes. If it was the original creditor it might only be prohibited under Michigan statutes.

Here's the Michigan statutes. Look under "regulated persons" then look under "prohibited acts." Then look at the rest of the statute for your remedies under state law.

http://law.justia.com/codes/michigan/2012/chapter445/act70of1981/

And here's the FDCPA:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.shtm

It seems to me that a defense to an allegation of wrongdoing is that they really do intend to sue you.

It is *******. Google them. They have a terrible history and also known to send "fake" looking court documents, which is what I received in the mail along with a letter from them. Yes I tried to contact the original creditor again. Mainly because I am being contacted by 2 other sources about this debt, and neither are the original creditor. Also received a letter recently that someone ordered a seize and desist? That I didn't want to be contacted about this debt. I never contacted anyone about such a thing.

Edited by FindLaw_AHK
This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator