kansasgrad

burdensome office change

I've been on the job 120 days as a VP in mortgage processing. The agreed upon location of my office and where I currently work is a 15 mile one way commute. Without any change in job description or responsibilities, I've been ordered to report to a new office that involves a one way commute of 95 miles. This is a permament placement and my current locations position is to remain unfilled. This is in employee friendly California. what are my options?

Either comply, work out another arrangement, or find a new job. Your post raises no legal issue unless you have a written employment contract that expressly prohibits your employer from altering the terms and conditions of your employment.

It's not precisely clear what you mean by your question. Ultimately, you're free to argue it's a constructive discharge situation and file for unemployment benefits, but even accounting for cost of gas and time/commute, etc., it's unclear whether you'd wind up better off quitting than just ... starting to look for a new job and meanwhile collecting more dough. Unemployment benefits suck.

Changing the distance from 15 miles to 95 miles one way could very well give you grounds to quit for good cause and qualify for unemployment benefits.

Read the following case discussions from the CA EDD before you make that decision:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Voluntary_Quit_VQ_150.htm

And don't be surprised if you get turned down right out of the gate. Might have to go through the appeals process.