blanco2011

Child Support-Houehold Income Calculations in California

I was married and have since divorced approximately (2 1/2) years ago. I have to pay child support for (3) children from the previous marriage. I have since remarried. I recently received an interrogatory from my ex-wife's attorney inquiring of everyone living in my current household and their relation to me. She works and my income is sporadic. I am making the support payments based on my income. My current wife has all separate accounts. We have no shared accounts. How is total household income calculated for child support purposes? Can the courts increase child support payments based on "my salary" as well as" my current wife's salary"?

Your current wife's income cannot be used as a factor to calculate your child support obligation except under highly unusual circumstancers, such as if she is sheltering part of your income and/or assets under her own. Presumably the interrogatories are meant only to establish your fair share of reasonable household expenses (if any) that could be used as factors in the calculation. Consult local counsel.