dontknowenoughaboutit

Double Lot

I live in Akron, Ohio and purchased my home approx. eight years ago but just recently went online to view my parcel(s). I am being taxed for two lots. The parcel shows a barrier (fence) in my back yard and an additional parcel that runs fifty feet beyond the fence. There is a home located behind me, partialy on the second lot. First, I dont think that the owners of the home are aware that I own thier entire back yard. Second, I want to make them aware. I have been contemplating a garden at that particular location. And although I am not a surveyor, Im pretty sure their garage is way past the point of no return (on my property). Since this is documented, who should make them aware? Am I responsible? the county (summit)? or the city? would hate to see any additional structures erected. I'm all ears! Thanks for your advice.

You might be taxed for two lots, but first you'd better make sure you own the two lots.

Check your legal description on your deed against the legal description of the lots in the county plat.

Also check back on the history to make sure somebody didn't grant an easement to the other property for use of that section of lot.

Once you've confirmed that you have a right to claim the property, it's entirely up to you to notify the encroachers and take the appropriate legal action at your own cost.