wdcttr2002

payroll deductions

I work for a small company that delivers and installs kitchen appliances. This past week I was transferred to work in the warehouse. I received a letter that they wanted me to sign stating it was ok for them to take $50 each pay for "damage claims" against me that I was unaware of. When I refused to sign the letter because of a dispute over the amount I thought that until we reconsiled this problem that nothing would be deducted. When I received my check the $50 was deducted. Is this legal? Can a company just start taking money out of my pay without written authorizition?

What state is this concerning? In general, an employer may not deduct anything from an employee's wages without the employee's written permission. You may want to contact your local state labor department for clarification on your specific situation and how to address your concerns. To learn more about your rights as an employee, visit the Employment Law Center as a good resource.

Is this legal? Can a company just start taking money out of my pay without written authorizition?

That depends on the laws of the state in which you work. In most states, an employer is prohibited from deducting anything from an employee’s pay unless it is (1) required by law (e.g. tax withholding), (2) required by a union agreement (for union members), or (3) authorized by the employee. But the state matters, so there is no way to answer your question specifically without that information.

the company is in Cleveland, OH

Interestingly, Ohio doesn't have a statute like some states that addresses all deductions from pay as some states do. But I did find one provision in it that might apply to you. Ohio Revised Code (ORC) section 4113.19 states: “No person shall sell goods or supplies to his employee, or pay such employee wages or a part thereof in goods or supplies, directly or through the intervention of scrip, orders, or other evidence of indebtedness, at higher prices than the reasonable or current market value in cash of such goods or supplies, or, without an express contract with his employee, deduct or retain the wages of such employee, or a part thereof, for wares, tools, or machinery destroyed or damaged.” (Italics added.)