Curiousjg

Abandoned go kart

My ex moved out 9 + months ago and he left a old rusted go kart in my back yard. I have repeatedly requested by text that he come get it. He says he will but never shows up to get it. I need to have my fence extended and the go kart must be moved to get to the back corner of the fence. The last comunication from him was that he would get it after Thankgiving holiday. It is now February. Can I just have it hauled off? I live in Texas

Your ex-what? Ex-husband? Ex-boyfriend? Ex-something else?

Is there some reason why whoever does the work on your fence can't move the go kart?

Ex boyfriend. Yes, the contractor will haul the go kart off. By your response I'm guessing it can be hauled off without a legal issue with ex-boyfriend. The law can be tricky sometimes thats why I asked

By your response I'm guessing it can be hauled off without a legal issue with ex-boyfriend.

My prior response simply asked questions. Inferring something solely from such a response is not prudent.

I asked if this was an ex-husband because, if it was, it would implicate community property laws and a divorce decree. I asked only if the person doing the work on the fence could move the go kart (not "haul it off") because your original post seemed to imply the presence of the go kart was impeding the fence work (if that were not the case, then I'm not sure why you would have mentioned anything about the fence work).

With apparently abandoned property, you typically need to give the owner written notice and, after a certain period of time (30 days would not be uncommon), you can dispose of the property. I don't know the specifics of TX law on this issue, but I would bet you can find the specifics by using the links the moderator provided.