KW1982

Retaliation after HR complaint (not harrassment-related)

Hi, I've been retaliated against by my boss after I made a compalint to HR that 2 coworkers haven't been doing their job and contributing to the team's workload for a 3 year period, which affected my workload. After this, my manager gave me a sub-par rating on my performance review that was directly related to this. Because I got that lower rating, my overall performance rating was lower and I potentially lost pay because of this. Do I have a lawsuit case?

Thanks.

Hi, I've been retaliated against by my boss after I made a compalint to HR that 2 coworkers haven't been doing their job and contributing to the team's workload for a 3 year period, which affected my workload...Do I have a lawsuit case?

Thanks.

Probably not. Most “retaliation” is legal. Under federal law, it is illegal for an employer to retaliate against an employee for taking action to enforce some right that he or she has under federal law, e.g. actions (including complaints) to correct illegal discrimination, actions to form a union, etc., and it is illegal for an employer to retaliate against an employee for making certain complaints to the federal government about the employer’s violation of federal law (e.g. reports of safety violations made to OSHA, etc.). State employment laws often have similar protections. But complaints to management that co-workers aren’t pulling their weight, the company isn’t well run, etc., are not protected by federal law nor the law of any state with which I’m familiar. You didn’t mention the state so I won’t completely rule out the possibility that you might have a claim. I’d be pretty surprised, though, if any state had a law prohibiting retaliation for this.

Problem is that you need to approach this stuff VERY carefully. From a different perspective, you're effectively telling your boss that his/her leadership/management is lacking (and, worse, if you went to HR to complain ... whether you discussed it with the boss first or not ... you went over his head).

"Do I have a lawsuit case?"

Not based on what you've said, no.

Yes, I actually did tell my boss that there was a problem more times than I can count on two hands. The company has an 'open door policy' and I made a good faith complaint to HR. I think it's a problem that my performance suffered because of this, which is in direct violation of the company's open door policy outlined in the Employee Handbook. But the Handbook also has a note saying that it's not a contract, bla bla.

Thank you all for your input, it's really appreciated.