stojadis64

Salaried Pay

I started on the first of the month, worked 6 days, but the pay day was on that Friday. I did not recieve a check untill three weeks later. When I asked about the week from the 1st to the 6th, I was told I was paid appropriately. Is this the normal way a salaried individual is paid? Do I have any legal rights in asking for the pay of that week?

Thank you

It's a little difficult to address your questions without knowing the following: (1) your state; (2) your salary; (3) the gross amount of your first paycheck; (4) the gross amount of any subsequent paychecks (if different); (5) the frequency with which your employer pays employees; (6) the month in which you started working; and (7) the date of your first paycheck.

State of Wisconsin, salary is $75,000, first pay check was $1,994.97and susequent checks same, the emplyer pays every two weeks Started the 1st of October 2012, first pay check was 10/19/2012.

I wouldn't have expected a check on the 5th if that's what you're saying. You don't bother to say what the check indicated, if any, as to the pay period (can't imagine why that check would cover anything other than the period ending 9/30, esp. for salaried workers).

I'd feel free to point out to payroll that you haven't received payment for the first week. If you receive an answer that doesn't make sense, then you're free to file a wage claim with the state labor dept.

It is neither uncommon nor illegal for a payday to occur a week after the close of a pay period. Sounds like that's what's happening here.

Given the information provided, my guess is that you started your employment at the start of a two week pay period that ended on Oct. 12, 2012 and were paid for that period on Oct. 19, 2012.

Obviously, I could be wrong about that, but you should be able to verify that by looking at your Oct. 19, 2012 pay stub. If I am correct, then you were, in fact, paid correctly.