oakridge_891

Tax Refund for Deceased Spouse

I received a Tax Refund check in the mail in my husbands name, dated 02 01 13. He has been deceased for 12 years. On the check there is a 12/82. If that is a date, we were married at that time and I have never remarried. Can I cash this check?

Whoa, there's a whole lot of information missing here. What tax agency issued this check? Why is a refund being issued now for what appears to be a 1982 period? The statute of limitations for issuing a refund at the federal level would have been long expired unless this was a matter that had somehow been in litigation for decades. Was the check issued only in his name? If so, that indicates that whatever tax this is, it's not a joint tax liability.

In general, if the check is issued in only his name you could not cash it because you aren't him. If you were the executor or administrator of his estate, you might potentially be able to cash the check on behalf of the estate, but some more information may be needed to know exactly what steps you need to take. You may need to have the check reissued in the name of of his estate.

United States Treasury issued the check. San Francisco,CA then some numbers

another group of numbers

Name 12/82

address 58

$amount.00

$amount interest

The check is issued in only his name. To my knowledge there was no litigation.

He was involved in an auto accident in 1991 and I became his Power of Attorney until his death in 2000.

If you haven't filed any tax returns (amended or otherwise) in your husband's name for a while and your returns have been filed as single since his passing, I would be very suspicious of any surprise checks from the IRS. Were you expecting this refund? Are you certain it is a tax refund check and not a payment arising from another cause? Is the check from the IRS, Social Security, etc. or are you unable to ascertain? I'd really recommend some research first. Besides, the check really belongs to his estate. That may end up being you, but you should probably get the background before bindly endorsing it.

I suggest taking the check to the nearest IRS office and and asking for authentication and background.

It could be a scam.

I often get stuff in the mail that look like checks but the fine print says that endorsing it binds you to buying or subscribing something.

I agree with the previous posters, your best bet would be is to visit your local IRS office to address this matter.