vcrowell

Fraud and extortion

I would like to know can someone be prosecuted for fraud and extortion when they lied about paternity and knew from the begginning that's not your child. They continue with the lie until it was exposed, it's been three years and the child was provided for financially.

That depends on the applicable state law (and you didn't mention the state) and the facts. One of the problems here is that the putative father almost certainly could have insisted on a paternity test from the outset, so it’s hard to say that the mother prevented the putative father from learning the truth. A complaint can certainly be made with the appropriate law enforcement agency; there is nothing to lose. But I suspect the law enforcement agency will see it as a mere civil matter and decline to pursue it.

The guy who paid the child support may want to see a family law attorney to find out if there is any way he might recover the support he paid.

I would like to know can someone be prosecuted for fraud and extortion when they lied about paternity and knew from the begginning that's not your child.

Depends on who "they" are and on the laws of the unidentified state where the conduct took place.

Realistically, probably not. I seriously doubt that any authorities would get involved in a criminal prosecution.

They continue with the lie until it was exposed, it's been three years and the child was provided for financially.

That the man allowed this to go on for 3 years without proof of paternity very likely makes a civil suit unwinnable. He should have demanded a paternity test from the getgo.

Life lesson from the school of hard knocks.

Please hire a qualified attorney to help you answer these questions. There are too many unknown facts presented in your question. An attorney familiar with the law applicable to this situation can help guide you. Good Luck.

I agree with the previous poster, you may want to discuss this matter with a local Lawyer to review your situation and advise you of your options.