gtdagame

Excessive charges

Went to a gas station last night and got gas in the amount of $20.01. Looked at my account this morning and there was a charge for $125.00 to my account from that gas station. Is it legal for them to do that?

First of all, has it occurred to you that it might be a mistake?

Second, when you called your bank/credit card company to inquire about the charge, what response did you get?

Third, did you use a credit card or a debit card?

I know it does, but can you, or anyone, explain why it should make a difference in your rights whether you use a VISA or MC debit card vs. a VISA or MC credit card, even issued by the same bank, for a transaction?

As for holds, if you think a gas purchase might have pitfalls, try a hotel or car rental or repair.

I cannot explain "why it should make a difference." Debit cards and credit cards are different things, and their use is subject to different contractual terms. It's as simple as that, and the problem is that most folks don't bother to read their credit or debit card agreements (or even skim them).

Debit cards and credit cards are different things, and their use is subject to different contractual terms. It's as simple as that, and the problem is that most folks don't bother to read their credit or debit card agreements (or even skim them).

Not just as simple as the difference in contract terms. Federal law also treats them differently; credit card accounts are granted more protection than debit card accounts are. Why the reason for that differing treatment? I have one possible explanation: the original law protecting credit cards was written before there were debit cards in wide use. Thus, when the law was drafted, no one probably gave much thought to writing the law in a way that covered both kinds of products. In any event, this difference in the protection given these two financial products is the reason consumer lawyers and financial experts recommend using credit cards for purchases rather than debit cards. I only use my debit card for cash withdrawals at ATMs. For purchases, I use my credit card.