Nforce1

Social Status/Stereo Type Discrimination

I live in california, and work for a large company. I have always gone to work dressed like "you own the company". For that Ive always had comments regarding my dress and my economic status.

I come from a family that has a little bit of money, in which I have had a manager accuse me of "not performing" because "I dont NEED the job"...

Does this type of discrimination hold ground in court?

Under federal law, it is illegal for an employer to discriminate against you because of your race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age (if you are age 40 or older), disability, or genetic test information. Under California state law, it is illegal for an employer to discriminate against you because of your race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability (including AIDS and HIV), mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), age (40 or older), or sexual orientation. Discrimination against you because you are or are perceived to be wealthy is not illegal under either federal or California law. Unless your local city or county has an ordinance that addresses it, there is nothing illegal in what you described here.

Even if there were such a thing as unlawful discrimination of someone because of their wealth or lack thereof, so far you haven't described how you've been discriminated against (while you get close to implying that you've lost out on advancement because your boss accuses you of non-performance, you don't get there).

Other than telling the boss you take issue with his assessment that you aren't performing let alone basing it on your bank account (and to tell folks you're sorry they feel X way about your dress and economic status), I'm not sure what to tell you. It may be that you stick out like a sore thumb, which might make insecure folks resentful.