legelle

Medical records of deceased

My son was my husband's guardian and would not allow me to see my husband's medical and nursing home records. My husband has died. Will I now be able to obtain these records?

Have you asked your husband's physician and nursing home personnel for his records? If they were withheld from you, what were the reasons given?

How did your son become your husband's guardian instead of you in the first place? How was he able to keep you out of the loop concerning your husband's medical treatment? As legal next of kin, these matters should have been entirely under your control. What happened?

Why do you want the records?

If you were estranged from your husband, I could see this scenario. It's unclear why you wouldn't have access to info otherwise, but this may call for you to be appointed administrator of husband's estate to gain access to his records (if you don't even know who his doctors were, for instance).