I purchased a computer from *****.. When I turn on the computer to set it up I was asked to agree to a number of provisions in the contract of purchase. One of the provisions was required that any disputes arising under the agreement be submitted to a binding arbitration. Is this clause valid? What statutory rights and protection do I have in court?

Edited by FindLaw_AHK
This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator

I cannot comment specifically on the contract you were presented with, of course, since I’ve not read it. However, the Federal Arbitration Act (FAA), 9 U.S.C. §§ 1-16, provides that agreements to arbitate are enforceable except in the case of certain employment contracts and in circumstances where the agreement would be unenforceable under contract law for reasons other than the arbitration provision. So, assuming the contract is otherwise enforceable, the arbitration provision is almost certainly enforceable, too.