Freelee_58

Child Support

My ex-husband is getting a check from the military in the amount of $1800.00 monthly. He still owes me for child support over thirty years ago. Because he moved around so much I couldn't receive any money no agency could find him. Now I am being told the statuary of limitation has run out and I can't sue him back child support in West Virginia. I live in Virginia for the last nineteen years. I had to leave my home because he kept breaking into my house and beating me and my children up. I finally gave up a good job, caught a greyhound bus and moved me and my children to a state where no one knew me just to finally be safe. Is there nothing I can to get some type of restitution from him. Years of abuse has left me afraid to trust anyone. He harassed me for over twenty years of my life. Lee

My ex-husband is getting a check from the military in the amount of $1800.00 monthly.

Because...?

Now I am being told the [statute] of limitation has run out and I can't sue him [for] back child support in West Virginia.

Being told by whom?

Is there nothing I can [do] to get some type of restitution from him.

I'm not aware of any state that imposes a statute of limitations on enforcement of a child support order. I suggest you consult with a family law attorney in the state in which the support order was entered (WV, apparently) about how to do this. If your ex still lives in that state, the process should not be terribly difficult; if he lives in a different state, it can still be done but will be a bit more complex.

There are legal steps you can take if a parent who is obligated to pay child support under the terms of a court or government agency order stops making payments. You may visit the Family Law Center: Child Support and read Child Support Enforcement as a good resource to learn more about this subject matter. For further clarification, you may consult with a local Family Law Lawyer.