kripoll

Child Support

My daughter are 18 and 20 years of age. They no longer live with me but I still receive child support for the 18 year old because she is a senior in high school. They both send me threatening messages to sue me because I don't give them their portion. Is there such a law? (suing for not giving them child support)

Of course not. Child support is not and never was intended to go to the children. It's intended to go to the custodial parent (you) as partial reimbursement for the out-of-pocket expenses you incurred while supporting your children. The money is yours to do with as you wish. If you want to give some of it to your daughters that's your prerogative, but it's your call to make. They are either ignorant of the law or they're blowing smoke. Ignore them.

They both send me threatening messages to sue me because I don't give them their portion.

Their portion of what?

Is there such a law? (suing for not giving them child support)

Child support is an obligation that is owed by one parent to the other. It is never payable to the child. My condolensces on having raised such disrespectful and ignorant children.

By the way, it's worth noting that it's a bit unusual that you would be receiving support for a child who apparently doesn't live with you (at least I'm assuming your younger child wouldn't be e-mailing you about this if she lived with you). Do your daughters live with their other parent? If so, why hasn't the other parent sought to terminate the support or asked the court to order you to pay child support to him/her (I recognize that you may not know the other parent's motivations)?