pr3938

Very Brief Marriage; financial settlement?

I live in New Mexico. I married a man 3 months ago and was stupid enough to not use a premarital contract. He was living on social security of roughly $1100/month, and had zero assets (a 15 yr old Mercedes less than $1,000, and minimal household furnishings). I have sizeable assets, house, car, financial. I paid virtually all bills during the marriage. We are in our 70s with no dependents. He turned out to be a gambling addict who occasionally turns violent. My daughter has lived with us the entire time. What can I reasonably expect to pay to end this marriage?

I have no idea what it'll cost -- as Jeeves would say, "Too many imponderables," -- but no doubt the sooner you end it, the less it'll cost in the long run. I strongly suggest you to cut your losses and seek the advice and assistance of a local divorce lawyer.

What can I reasonably expect to pay to end this marriage?

Well...you can expect to pay a court filing fee. I have no idea how much that might be where you live, but you probably can expect a few hundred dollars there.

If you're asking whether you might have to pay alimony/spousal support, that's unlikely for such a short marriage.

Up to you whether or not you hire a lawyer. Since you have "sizeable assets," I think it would be unwise not to do so.