Stolen_from

Embezzlement- Insurance Claim

Hello. I am a business owner in PA. I just discovered that a long-time employee has been embezzling from me, to the tune of about $80k. I will have to file an insurance claim to recoup the money. My question is, will I have to pursue criminal charges against the employee in order to file the claim? Will the insurance company do so if I do not? Thank you for any insight.

It would be rare indeed for an insurer to approve a payment for an allegedly criminal act without the making of a police report. Among other things, it is a way to deter fraud.

Have you reported this matter to your local police department to address?

I can pretty much guarantee that your crime coverage requires you to report the crime to the police and assist in the prosecution of the criminal in order to get the claim paid.

Read your policy.