meowmel

punitive damages

May I ask for punitive damages when suing MY doctor (well, chiropractor)? My daughter and I were involved in a rear end car accident over 3 years ago. We were both hurt and both had the same lawyer. I felt a lot of pain and my daughter did not, although we both had initial xrays. The first X-ray showed my daughter had a slight scoliosis (less than 10 degrees) in the spine. (Later we found this was inaccurate - it was closer to 30 degree bend.) So, she went to three different pediatricians and NONE of them ever bent her over for the Adams Bend test - not after we mentioned the scoliosis or during ANY sports or annual exam. Years later, my daughter continued to express pain in her back. Someone suggested we go to a chiropractor. We did and will filled out the paperwork about her spine being less than 10 degrees. He took new x-rays in house and never discussed them with us. He further delayed any appropriate consult to a real doctor for five months. We came to the conclusion he was not helping, in fact the treatments sometimes hurt her. So we discontinued going to him. We again went to a pediatrician and again complained about the pain in her back and FINALLY she bent her over to reveal a horribly disfigured spine. This was less than two weeks after the chiropractor's final treatment and final exit X-rays - which we now own. Can I take any of these medical professionals to civil court? All of them dramatically delayed appropriate treatment for my growing daughter's ever bending spine. Timing is crucial when it comes to adolescent scoliosis. By the time we realized what was going on, it was well too late to even try less invasive treatments such as bracing. Major spinal fusion surgery was our only recourse... Worst experience with the medical community ever.

Sure.

You can sue for malpractice.

You can "ask" for anything.

It's up to a court of law to say if the doctors are responsible and for how much.

Consult a medical malpractice attorney.