mamaboop3

Handicap Parking

I live in Illinois. At my home my landlord has put a hadicap parking sign up for me. She said that it is her sign and on private property so really anybody can park there. I have a placard but didn't have it up one day and got a ticket. Is she right or wrong?

Right about what?

She's right - it's her sign.

She's right - It's her property.

She's right - Anybody with handicap plates or placard can park there.

What does all that have to do with you getting a ticket?

You didn't have your placard, you got a ticket.

You might get it dismissed by showing your handicap ID at the court.

Since most handicapped parking spaces are located on private property (e.g., a grocery store parking lot), I can't imagine that would matter.

I was wondering if my ticket was valid since I was on private property.

The answer to that is yes, the ticket is good even though your car was parked on private property. The first sentence of Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/) section 11-1301.3(a) provides the rule that applies here:

(a) It shall be prohibited to park any motor vehicle which is not properly displaying registration plates or decals issued to a person with disabilities, as defined by Section 1-159.1, pursuant to Sections 3-616, 11-1301.1 or 11-1301.2, or to a disabled veteran pursuant to Section 3-609 of this Act, as evidence that the vehicle is operated by or for a person with disabilities or disabled veteran, in any parking place, including any
private
or public offstreet parking facility, specifically reserved, by the posting of an official sign as designated under Section 11-301, for motor vehicles displaying such registration plates.

(underlining added). As you can see from the statute, it specifically makes it an offense to park in a designated disabled parking space that is on private property without displaying a disabled registration plate or decal.