karmakgt

What can I do about father fleeing to WVA and owing now 12k??

Please if someone can help guide us in the right direction.We are married, live in Florida , and our case is in Virginia. The father of 2 teenagers fled to West Virginia to avoid DCSE in the state of Virginia, after we spent thousands getting him into court up there finally, since we live in Florida and every time he was a no show we still had to be there! He was court ordered to notify change of address and/or employer within 30 days, and has a history taking off & disappearing like this. He was already let off of over 8k in arearages once (long time ago) to be nice and I see that was a big mistake. Now the total is over 12k and growing, and even though I've told DCSE Virginia the small town he's living in, nobody will do anything about finding him. I'm about to be living in my car as we have both lost our jobs recently due to the place we worked at going out of business in this lovely Florida economy. He is only ordered to pay 50 a week for two kids and he's over 12k behind and counting. We are broke please HELP!!!

Moving to another state doesn't mean the chlid supportment folks can't find them (and you ought to file case w/ FL child support enforcement folks if you intend to stay and no longer live in VA ... even if family court that ordered it in is VA (not clear why you didn't xfer family court case to FL).

Sounds like you need to work local charitable organizations, and possibly move to a different place (back to VA?). I'm afraid it sounds like you left this all too late, and it's best not to expect child support folks to pursue if you no longer live there.

Also sounds like you're holding out hope that this dude has access to thousands, which presumably isn't the case if you'd let him off the hook as to prior owed thousands.

First of all, thank you for responding so fast, we appreciate any help we can get! The reason we spent the money to go where he lived in Virginia is because we've heard horror stories down here in Florida about their being slack , while the state of Virginia has a reputation of being tough and more apt to collect from him, they jailed him once over the earlier case, and his family bailed him out and arrears were paid (like 3k), then it grew to 8k again, and at the time I was young and what can I say I screwed up and let him off, and of course he never did what he said he would do in return. We are working on employment as we speak, and are both in our "waiting week" and making plans to move and do what we have to do to be in a better situation.