reneel2006

Roommate won't stay sober to sell house (Joint Tenancy)

I currently own a home in Michigan with my x-boyfriend as Joint Tenancy. We each own 50% of the deed and 50% of the mortgage. We verbally agreed to put the house for sale 02/01/13. The problem is that he is an alcoholic and sometimes becomes so drunk that he urinates and vomits on himself and his surroundings; which leads to a foul odor and dirty carpets. I am trying to make the house look presentable for potential buyers. But it is impossible as each time I clean, it becomes dirty again. Also, he sometimes threatens that he is not signing anything because he really wants the house. Can a Judge order to him to stay sober so that we can show the house? Do I have to file a Partition to make sure he sells? He cannot afford (he is currently unemployed) to get the mortgage in his name only. Family cannot afford to co-sign with him either. If so, I would sign over a quit claim deed and walk away. I do not want the house. Thank you.

I currently own a home in Michigan with my x-boyfriend as Joint Tenancy.

Well, now you know how incredibly foolish that was.

Can a Judge order to him to stay sober so that we can show the house?

Sure.

And you think that a judge's order will keep a drunk sober? Think again.

Do I have to file a Partition to make sure he sells?

It's probably going to come to that so I suggest you consult an attorney asap. Otherwise you'll be no better off in 6 months or a year than you are now.

He cannot afford (he is currently unemployed) to get the mortgage in his name only. Family cannot afford to co-sign with him either. If so, I would sign over a quit claim deed and walk away. I do not want the house.

You don't want to do that as long as your name is on the mortgage.