MistyB_8337

New car given to me by my husband, but is in his name.

After 8 years of marriage I've been forced to file the second EPO against my husband and he has been out of the house since mid-November...I am financially strapped and have not filed for divorce yet. Long story short, he bought and had delivered a new car, for me as a Christmas gift. He paid half down on it and it is still in his name, though I am in possession of the car and have insured it. I feel like this was done just to get his foot back in the door, which would open up the Hell I've lived in for the past 8 years.

He refuses to put the car in my name.  And after this length of time we are still having the same serious problems in our marriage.  My question is, is there anything I can do to keep him from taking my car?  He has threatened to "sell the whole shootin' match" and put me on the road.

You can file for divorce and ask the court to award you the car.

Otherwise, IT'S NOT YOUR CAR. He owns it and can take it back whenever he wants.

Maybe he thinks that you will take the car if it becomes

titled solely in your name, then disappear with it and

stick him with whatever monthly payments that exist

on it?

Nothing like a follow up 22 months later!  Anyway, assuming you're talking about something beyond physically preventing him from having access tot he car, the answer to the question.  It's his car, after all.

Hi MistyB_8337,

Unfortunately, as the others have mentioned your husband is ultimately under no obligation to put it under your name... I'm not sure on the details of your marriage, of course, but if it is negatively affecting your happiness and/of safety, you should look into filing for a divorce. Depending on your state, the car may end up with you when the judge goes about dividing your property (check out this article on divorce and property).

If you're considering divorce, please feel free to read up on the different issues involved in divorce (e.g. how to divorce, alimony, etc.) in FindLaw's section dedicated to divorce. And, of course, check out FindLaw's lawyer directory if you need some help finding divorce lawyers in your area. Best of luck to you!