Sunshine_0000

Inadmissability- New law

Hi,

I am a US Citizen my husband was deported in 2001 and re-entered illegaly in 2002. He now has a 10 year bar and is unable to apply for a waiver unless he leaves the country and waits for the 10 years. With the recentley approved law that will take effect on 03/04/2013 can we apply for the I-601 waiver of inadmissability even if he is inadmissable due to reentry.

Thank You

If an applicant is inadmissible because they have been unlawfully present in the United States for more than 180 days (3-year bar) or one year (10-year bar), they may apply for a Waiver of Ground of Inadmissibility on Form I-601. You may want to read: INA: ACT 212 - GENERAL CLASSES OF ALIENS INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE VISAS AND INELIGIBLE FOR ADMISSION; WAIVERS OF INADMISSIBILLITY section 212 (a) (9) B. I would also highly suggest you consult with a local Immigration Lawyer to advise you further in detail about your husband's specific immigration status.

Thank you for your response and the link. I was told by our last attrouney that he was not allowed to apply for a waiver because he reentered. He need to wait 10 years outside of the united states

and then apply. I am hoping this new change would apply to us too. It's been a difficult journey for us, but we will not give up!

Sunshine: he shouldn't have re-entered. He has to wait his time and then hope he will be able to come in legally. Depending on the country of origin, he may have a very difficult time convincing a consular officer that his illegal re-entry had sufficient reasons for it. Simply because he wanted to be with his family is not a sufficient reason.

You may want to consult with a different attorney and find out if the changes would apply to your circumstances. Generally speaking, a further illegal re-entry after a deportation is difficult to overcome.