smoraq

Federal Retiree election for Spousal Survival thru OPM

I have been an unmarried Federal retiree since 2000. In May 2010 I married and decided to apply for Spousal survivor annuity benefits for my wife. I understand that I had 2 years from the marriage date to accomplish this. I called OPM and requested the application procedures and costs. I was advised to write a letter and include a copy of my marriage certificate. I did this and heard nothing, so just prior to the deadline I sent a Fed Express letter (receipt included) along with the marriage certificate reiterating my desire to apply for this change in benefits. I later called OPM several times and was advised that they had a large backlog and could not provide me with any additional information. Additionally I emailed OPM in May 2012 (have copies) relative to the status of my request and was advised:

“We are currently processing Post Retirement Marriage requests we

received in February 2012. We apologize for the delay however we are

working diligently to process requests.”

After several e-mail requests I now receive the response:

“Thank you for your email inquiry. It does not appear that we have

received your request. Please resubmit your request to our office

at the address below.”

As the deadline for this action has passed, does anyone have any

ideas how I can proceed, or is this a lost cause? Thanks in advance

for any assistance.

Yes, on several occasions. As I mentioned they have advised me that they are backlogged and will respond at some point, they have referred my request to the appropriate section, and lastly they advised me that they do not have my request and to re-submit. The deadline has passed and submitting again does not appear to be an option.