akillian

NYS legal age of adult

I just found out my ex-wife let my daughter quit school half way thru 12 grade. Now I called child support to find out about stop paying child support as she is 18 and no longer in school. They told me as long as she is under 21 I have to pay full rate even if she no longer lives with her mom. She is spending all her time at different friends houses and never there. I live in a different state half way across the country and I live on SSD and could really use that extra $180 each month. Any ideas or help with this?

What does the child support order state about this matter? At a minimum, child support may continue to age 18 or up to 19 1/2 if still in high school. Parties can and sometimes do agree to pay support through college and can put what ever conditions they want into an agreed judgment. To learn more about this subject matter, you may wish to visit the Family Law Center and read Child Support as a good resource. I also suggest you consult with a local New York Family Law Lawyer for clarification.

I called child support

"Child support" is an obligation that you pay. It is not a person or thing that you can call on the phone.

As for your question, you need to check your child support to see what it says about the termination of the obligation. However, child support obligations in New York generally continue well past the child's 18th birthday and graduation from high school (or dropping out of high school). If you believe the circumstances are such that the obligation should be discontinued, you will need to apply to the court to terminate the obligation.