nichole_1973

wrongful termination

Is it discrimination for my employer to fire me because of an arguement that started at work with myself and a coworker and it continuing after work in another location. My employer called me in the office after my coworker complained about it and I was suspended until further investigation but i was never even able to explain the situation to defend myself, but other coworker fought on the job and were'nt suspended or fired. After about two and a half weeks of trying to go in and give my side of the story hr called me in to give my side of the story but when I went in HR already had my termination papers

Even if you want to call it discrimination, you haven't said anything to indicate it's unlawful discrimination (few types are unlawful).

I'm afraid the employer isn't obligated to let you explain/defend yourself. If you think you can peg the difference in treatment between you and other fighting coworkers to your gender or race or religion (or age if you're 40) or some other protected characteristic (in some states, that might be sexual preference or even political affiliation), feel free to file a complaint with the EEOC and state equivalent. However, it may be that this person is friends with someone or whatever (as such, it wouldn't be unlawful to do whatever).

If the employer fights the state giving you unemployment, I'd feel free to point out other instances you know of where other folks weren't fired for arguing.

Is it discrimination for my employer to fire me because of an arguement that started at work with myself and a coworker and it continuing after work in another location.

I suppose it might be if the same fate did not befall your co-worker. However, most discrimination is perfectly legal, and this would only be illegal if the two of you were treated differently because of something like your race, ethnicity, gender, religion, etc.