Francis.

DWI checks involving wrecks

When a driver causes an accident by wreckless behavior such as speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, should the police check for alcohol/drug impairment?

I don't really understand the legal issue you're raising, if any. To the extent you are implying that all or most persons who "cause[] [] accident by wreckless behavior such as speeding, weaving in and out of traffic" are intoxicated, I disagree. If an accident has occurred and one or more persons involved exhibits signs of intoxication, then I would agree that it would be prudent or desirable for further investigation to occur.

If I haven't answered your question, you should clarify what you're asking.

Not routinely and not by obligation.

But I'm sure that they would check if they suspected impairment.

I was asking if legally the police have to check for impairment. So I guess my question was answered; they don't.

To: Platinum Contributor, was not implying anything, only asking a question.

I was asking if legally the police have to check for impairment.

Well...no, that's not what you asked. You asked whether the police "should" check under the circumstances you described. That basically calls for subjective opinions. In any event, I agree with the others that no state imposes a legal obligation on the police to do this.