stacey7777

customer broke contract

Im a plumber have a customer sign my contract to do work,he also made a $500 down payment.72 hrs has lasped. i beleive he found a cheaper bid an now he wants his money back. I have made several phone calls to venders,hired extra help,diagnose his plumbing problem etc. do i have to return his money?

Hard to say without reading the terms and conditions of your contract.

But if you've spent time at his house inspecting and diagnosing, you're at least entitled to be paid for those hours.

Phone calls to vendors don't cost you anything. So if you haven't actually paid for materials that you can't return, there's no money in that.

As for hiring help, that depends on exactly what you mean by that.

From a legal standpoint, if he accepted the contract then he's in breach if he doesn't allow you to do the work. Trouble is, as the aggrieved party you are obligated to mitigate your damages as much as possible and there would be numerous factors involved in determining how much of the contract price he owes you, if any.

If you aren't clear about how all this works you might be wise to consult an attorney to determine if your contract adequately covers these contingencies.