cantlose

Landlord Retaliation

I recently negotiated a rent reduction with my landlord with which I have a lease of more than 1 year. More recently I paid a small portiion of my rent 2 weeks late after having notified him that I would need to do that. I was charged a late fee which was according to the contract but seemed exorbidant since only a small portion of the rent was actually late. On the last day of said month I received a 3 day notice to cure stating that I owe a late fee but also that I have an unauthorized tenant which is arguable. Can negotiating a rent reduction be considered cause for landlord retaliation for? I am within the 180 day timeframe and I would consider the rate negotiation a peaceable exercise of my rights.

I don't really understand your question. If you're late with your rent and/or have an unauthorized person residing in your home, your landlord can serve you with an appropriate notice under your state's eviction laws, and I don't really see what this has to do with the negotiated rate reduction. Nor do I know what you mean by "the 180 day timeframe." Any applicable laws are obviously state-specific, and you didn't identify your state.