bufford22

Motorcycle consignment sale

I purchased a used motorcycle , on consignment , from a dealer in Minnesota. I negotiated the price with the dealer and owner of bike. I purchased the bike with cashiers check and did all paper work through dealer. Dealer told me that it would take a while to get title to me. Now I get a summons in the mail with a court date from the original owner of the bike. He says he either wants the bike back or the money for the bike. I tried to call the dealer and turns out they shut their doors and are no longer in business! Now what do I do? The owner still has the title and the dealer scammed the owner out of his money! Will I end up paying or having to give the bike back? Does it also make a difference if the dealer filed bankruptcy? Thanks for any help.

If the dealer (who was the owner's agent) scammed the owner, that's between the two of them. You may have to sue to get the title from the owner, and that may cost you a bunch of money for attorneys' fees that you may or may not be able to recover, so you may want to try and negotiate something with the owner. I suggest you consult with a local attorney for advice.

You have a receipt and documentation of payment to the "agent" of the seller.

I suggest you immediately file a countersuit for the title since you can show that you paid for the bike.