Jstars

land

I own the land but my grandfather owns the mobile home. He rents it out and pays me no land rent and has never offered. I want the home moved. how can I legally make him move it?

Is there an agreement between you and your grandfather regarding the mobile home on your land?

Depends on the laws of your unidentified state (although, in any state, the obvious starting point is to ask him to do this) and the terms of any contract by which your grandfather's mobile home came to be and remains located on your property.

I won't presume that you'd fail to mention some contract or agreement by which he is in a position to dictate that it stay, so ... consult with a local real estate attorney about how much notice you'd need to give him as a tenant to remove the property (even if he doesn't pay rent, he could claim he does, in cash). Treating it as a landlord-tenant situation would be easier than an abandoned property issue if he refused to remove it, given you'd more likely have to take on the expense of removing it or selling it yourself if he abandoned it. (That scenario may come to pass anyway.)

Step 1 - Give him proper written notice to move it. Your state laws (or a lawyer) will tell you how much notice you need to give him.

Step 2 - If he doesn't move it by the deadline date, evict him through the courts. Your state laws will tell you how to do that or hire a lawyer to do it for you.