brittanylynn2184

Longterm Nursing Facility

In a long term healthcare setting is it legal for a new policy to come into effect without a worker signing to agree to it? Such as, you must attend mandatory meetings for each department and monthly, if you miss one meeting it is considered a call off and marked against you even if it was you day off and you already had prior arrangements?

The type of business the employer is in isn't relevant. The law won't require that a worker sign anything or even agree to a new policy (unless it's a union or civil service job where the contract/regs require that).

I am in PA. Looking for the legal side of things because I think I am gonna need it!

My contract is every Saturday and Sunday 8 hour shifts. But I have always attended the meetings that I could (when I have a sitter for my child) I explained this in the meeting today I would be able to attend all meetings if I could bring my kid. They immediately said NO!!! My contract states that I have 3 occurances (Call offs) before I am knocked off my position and only then may I continue my employment IF THERE IS A PART TIME POSITION AVAILABLE. Already missed one day. So now miss a meeting get suspended, miss 2 possibly lose my job or go to part time and lose half my pay per hour. When I am only there SAT & SUN. And we have anywhere from 2-4 meetings a month. This is just looking like I ain't gonna have a job for much longer!

I'm not clear on the purpose of the follow-ups (you didn't ask any questions), but your child care issues aren't your employer's problem, I'm afraid.

I also would carefully review this "contract" because I sincerely doubt that it prohibits the employer from changing the terms of your employment at any time, including letting you go (or you being able to leave) for no reason at all (at will employment).