Shadow90210

Employer putting me on company website - privacy issues?

My employer, small company of 15, is planning to update website.

Pictures and names of employees, etc. I don't work with the public, so this is unnecessary. There has never been any employment agreement or release to do this.

I have a long-term stalker that I need to avoid, and don't want to mention this to my employer. I keep a very low and non-existent internet presence because of this.

How to avoid?

The law does not require the employer to obtain some kind of release from you to put information about you on its web site. If you want to avoid your information being put on the site, the only solution that is readily apparent is to talk with the owner of the company about it. It may be that you’ll need to explain the stalker situation in order to persuade the employer to keep your information off the site.

You don't say why you think that even though this info would be on a website that it will be easily discoverable by a third party. If indeed you have a stalker (and people in general misuse this term, but I don't presume you are), trust me, (s)he knows where you work already. :)

Have you discussed this concern with your employer?

Not yet. It's still a fairly new job, and I don't want to raise red flags.

This guy doesn't actually follow me around, he just anon calls or emails employers or landlords, with outrageous stuff. Wacko. He even posts to the local newspaper. If I go to the police and/or courts, I most likely will have to disclose address and employer. He. Won't. Ever. Stop.

this is unnecessary.

Seems your employer disagrees.

How to avoid?

Talk with your employer about the issue or quit your job.