Ima_phoneguy

Disciplinary leave without pay

Can I place an employee on leave without pay for disciplinary reasons. We have a small company in Texas with less than 10 employees No mention of disciplinary procedures on our employee handbook.

Can I place an employee on leave without pay for disciplinary reasons.

Sure. But why would you want to. If he's a disciplinary problem you can fire him. If you put him on unpaid leave, he's only going to come back hostile and continue to be a problem, only in ways that you might not realize till the damage is done.

We have a small company in Texas with less than 10 employees

I don't think that makes any difference.

No mention of disciplinary procedures on our employee handbook.

Your disciplinary procedures are what the boss says they are at any given moment. The employee handbook is not a contract and is not binding on anybody. Employers have been known to depart from the handbook on a whim.

"Can I place an employee on leave without pay for disciplinary reasons."

Of course. Is someone implying you cannot?

Employers aren't required to have handbooks or fixed policies and is free to decide stuff on a case-by-case basis. And in Texas as far as I know, you still don't even have to worry about anti-discrimination laws. (If you make it to 15, you'll be subject to certain federal anti-discrimination laws.)

You're free to let someone go if you believe discipline like this won't get it through their head that Y is a problem; of course, indiscriminate terminations that don't involve gross or willful misconduct mean they'll be eligible for unemployment benefits, and a lot of that can increase your payroll tax deduction rate. (That said, I don't know what Texas law is with regard to any worker number thresholds beneath which a Texas employer doesn't have to worry about an unemployment benefits payroll tax contribution.)