chas7777

why can't you get a public defender in a DWI case. They r saying that he can't get one.

he has already ask for one continuous to find a lawyer. But can't afford a Lawyer so he is going to count in the morning by himself. I told him to ask for another continuous so I can find out more info. that is where he is at right now.

this all I no about this case: .he got a dwi, with an accident, trying to get him for littering and hendering prosacution saying someone was in vehical and took off running.

I think he is 24 yrs old now and had his first DWI when he was 18 yrs old.

he lives in MO.

In many, if not most states, you are not entitled to a Public Defender if jail time is not an option. Some states limit it to minimum of 6 months in jail before a public defender is available. I don't know what the rule is in MO, but you could ask.

There may also be financial requirements he must meet. Usually, the court will ask about income and expenses before deciding whether someone is eligible. Most states require a person meet an "indigence" threshold before assigning a lawyer to the case.