ericafree

child support

I share joint custody with the father of my 13 yr. old son and 10 yr. old daughter. For the past year and a half they have lived with me. He sees them every other weekend. I have been asking him for financial support but he does not believe that he should have to give me anything. Please advise.

Unless there is a court order for child support, he doesn't have to pay. Since you refer to him as "the father of my 13 yr. old son and 10 yr. old daughter" rather than your ex-husband, I assume you were never married and there is no custody and support order ("parenting plan") in place. If that's the case, you need to get one. A local family law attorney can help you get started.

All you need to do is go to the Family Court building in your County and file a Petition for Child Support. Upon completion you will receive a notice in the mail for a Court date and time. In the mean time you should gather your information including you income if any (he will be required to provide his as well). You will need to hand in a financial disclosure form which includes your income/debt. Start there the rest will fall into place. Remember you always have the right to hire an attorney so if you feel overwhelmed ever you should look into obtaining one. Good Luck

Are you now or were you ever married to your children's father?

If so, were the kids born and/or conceived during the marriage? If not, has paternity ever been established in an appropriate manner under the laws of your unidentified state?

If you were or are married, are you now divorced or is a divorce pending?

In either case, has the court ever entered an order requiring the father to pay child support?

All you need to do is go to the Family Court building in your County and file a Petition for Child Support. Upon completion you will receive a notice in the mail for a Court date and time. In the mean time you should gather your information including you income if any (he will be required to provide his as well). You will need to hand in a financial disclosure form which includes your income/debt.

It should go without saying that these procedures are not applicable in every state. Obviously, it will be important that you learn and follow the laws and procedures applicable in your state and locality.