kings100

criminal record vs alimony

hi, i was married in virginia

we lived in Florida at the time.

we were married for one year. She went back to using drugs. Before we were married she did have a drug arrest and 5 arrests for driving with no id.

We are divorcing because she went back to using drugs. At this time the marriage was over. I moved on. I started talking to a girl online. She found out and is now threatening me with alimony.

Can I use her record against her to protect me?

before I got married she was into drugs. She has several driving without id. she cleaned up. we got married in virginia while living in Florida. we still live in Florida she went back to drugs. We separated with the intent to divorce. I made a new female friend online. We only talked online. Because of that, she wants to collect alimony. We have been married for one year. can I use her background or even ask for a drug test to prove myself against her? What should I do?

can I use her background or even ask for a drug test to prove myself against her?

I don't really know what you mean by "prove myself against her." If you're asking whether your wife's pre- or post-marriage drug use is relevant to her entitlement to alimony, it is not.

What should I do?

I can only assume you're asking this question because you seriously believe the implication behind your wife's threat -- i.e., that your post-separation, online communication with your "female friend" has any relevance to her entitlement to alimony. Why you would take her threat seriously is not clear (is she a family law attorney?). You can google "florida divorce alimony factors" for more information, but the odds of a court awarding alimony for a marriage as short as yours are very remote.

Protect you from what? Prove your case for what?

Your wife's previous or current drug use is irrelevant with respect to alimony. She is either entitled to it or she's not. Proving she's an addict wouldn't make any difference at all. However, for what it's worth, I can't imagine any circumstances in which an otherwise healthy person would be entitled to alimony after a marriage of only one year's duration. A local family law attorney can best advise you of your rights and possible options.

ok thank you for the feed back, I should still hire an attorney? Just to be safe.

All I can say is that most marriages that last only a year and which don't involve kids or significant marital assets can typically be handled very simply and generally fall into the category of decent do-it-yourself projects assuming the parties are of reasonable intelligence.