gmonk69

Suspension of child from school & bus

My 14 yr old son exposed his behind on his school bus Mon. 11/26/12. The bus driver reported it "student pulled pants & undewear down & put his butt on a peer".

The school claimed there was a tape of the incident. Upon pressuring the bus company the supervisor of the bus driver informed me that "there is NO TAPE of the incident". How convenient? The principal did not inform my husband or myself until yesterday 11/29/12 that our son is suspended from the bus & school. They even have teh nerve to state on the paperwork that" must be scheduled for psychiartic revie before return to school". They also have check off on the paperwork "sexual harrassment".

Our son is a 14 yr old straight A student. I cannot phathom why they would label this "sexual harrassment" and not include us in the conference with our son.

No one from the school or the school board will call me back on this URGENT matter.

PLEASE help this is really affecting our son.

THANK YOU!

What I can't fathom is why your son would expose his behind on a school bus. It seems to matter a great deal to you how the act is labeled and whether there is a video record of the incident, but you don't deny that he actually committed the act.

It's not hard for me to believe that such an act would be labeled sexual harassnment, particularly if there were girls on the bus. However, since it happened on the school bus, presumably en route to or from school, the situation falls under the disciplinary policies and prodcedures adopted by the school district, and if they say it's sexual harassment, that's what it is. If you want to appeal the suspension, you'll have to follow the appropriate procedure for appeals. Somebody in the school or district administrative office should be able to provide you with the relevant forms and procedure. If they won't return your calls, you may have to show up in person.

For what it's worth, it seems reasonable to me that such behavior by a 14-year-old boy could be construed as acting out under some unspecified stress, and counseling would not be out of place.

We have already resolved the issue of why he exposed his backside. Thank you. It just STRIKES me that before they DECIDED my child NEEDs counseling they MUST first KNOW who he is! I HIDE nothing from my children (I have a 19 yr daughter) because in this day and age the STREETS will claim them.

He did it on a DARE from peer. I don't think a LOT of the school system that claims "they want the parents involved". They LOOK for the parents that ACT they are friends to their children. I am a STRONG advocate of supporting the schools, but when the LEAVE the parents out of ANY equation it BAFFLES me. They ONLY seems to contact you with MINOR incidents and NOT the MAJOR incidents.

A smart 14y old HONOR student DOES NOT ALWAYS NEED COUNSELING!! SMH. This world is a TRIP.

Are you practing attorney Ted from Texas?

The school claimed there was a tape of the incident. Upon pressuring the bus company the supervisor of the bus driver informed me that "there is NO TAPE of the incident". How convenient?

I'm not sure why you would view this as an issue of convenience or why you would assume there would be video cameras on a school bus.

Beyond this, you didn't ask a question, so I'm not really sure what the purpose of your post is. It should go without saying that you're free to consult with a local attorney who handles education matters.