gmonk69

Wages

I have been with my employer since 2006 as the ONLY permanent employee. Every year they hire either high school or college intern. I receive 2 wks vacation and just recently requested 5 sick days. I receive no other benefits from my employer, because i am covered under my husband's medical.

In September 2012, I gave both attorneys a written letter of request for a raise and received a lower amount than requested and I am satisfied. A couple years ago I was informed (verbally) that they would decrease my hourly rate because "I was making more than one of the partners". They then stopped including my lunch hours in my weekly pay so I now work from 9-4pm EST.

The issue is when I have to take time off to go to medical appointments or school functions for my son. They do not pay me for the full day. Is there a law that states that if an employee works half a day they are entitled to the entire work day pay?

When I worked for another employer in 2003 they used to pay their employer for a full day if they worked 4 hrs or more.

Thank you for any assistance you may give me.

Confused Employee

State law does not require the employer to pay you for any time you are not at work. You are free to discuss using part of your vacation or sick time to cover those hours if you want paid.

"In September 2012, I gave both attorneys a written letter of request for a raise and received a lower amount than requested and I am satisfied. A couple years ago I was informed (verbally) that they would decrease my hourly rate because "I was making more than one of the partners"."

I'm not sure how the second statement is necessary (or some other extraneous comments).

Not that you asked, but I don't know of CT law requiring an employer to pay for any meal break; you're free to ask the state labor dept.

"They do not pay me for the full day."

They aren't obligated to offer paid sick leave as far as I know under CT law; I'd feel free to ask them about using vacation time for the absence. In the absence of a law requiring paid sick leave (and one that applied to your clearly small employer), they're only required to pay you for time worked. (They aren't obligated to offer vacation leave either.)

"When I worked for another employer in 2003 they used to pay their employer for a full day if they worked 4 hrs or more."

That doesn't mean there's a law requiring it. :)