OverIt231485

Divorce Question...

My husband and I have not lived together for almost 3 years. Due to a lack of money I used the "total divorce $209" listed in the paper which required me to do all of the footwork with no help. I couldn't even call with a question about the paperwork. We got all the way to the end and they wrote back stating that I had my husband sign the divorce papers and served him with the papers on the same day. I was asked to send more money, wait 30 days inbetween, and do it all over again. This was over 6 months ago. I was recently told I can put a divorce in front of a judge myself, no attorney, and have it signed off because we have been separated for so long. We got married in Warren, Ohio but I live in New Castle, Pennsylvania. We have two kids, however, he pays no support and I really just want him out of our lives completely. He is currently living in Cortland, New York. I just want to know if anyone knows the cheapest, easiest way to get a divorce and how to go about it. Please help....I just want this chapter of my life closed. I know nothing of law and want it to be over so I can move on.

Due to a lack of money I used the "total divorce $209" listed in the paper

What "paper"?

which required me to do all of the footwork with no help. I couldn't even call with a question about the paperwork.

I'm guessing that what you're basically saying is that you bought a generic packet of divorce papers from someone.

We got all the way to the end and they wrote back stating that I had my husband sign the divorce papers and served him with the papers on the same day.

Who are "they"?

I was recently told I can put a divorce in front of a judge myself, no attorney, and have it signed off because we have been separated for so long.

I haven't a clue what this might mean. It's also not clear who told you this.

I just want to know if anyone knows the cheapest, easiest way to get a divorce and how to go about it.

The cheapest way is to do everything yourself, but that's not the easiest way. The easiest way is to hire a good lawyer, but that's not the cheapest way. Which do you want?

Your previous effort to be penny wise obviously turned out to be pound foolish. If you want to try again without a lawyer, there is a massive amount of information on the Internet about divorce procedures in every state. There are "divorce for dummies" type books available online and at pretty much any bookstore. The substantive laws and rules of procedure of every state are also available online and can be easily located with simple google searches (e.g., "ohio statutes" or "ohio rules of civil procedure" or "lawrence county pennsylvania local divorce court rules"). Lawrence County, Pennsylvania also has a law library, which will have every conceivable resource you might need.

So, your options are to educate yourself using readily available resources or to hire a local divorce lawyer. I have no idea what the going rate is in Lawrence County for a divorce lawyer, but I think it would be worthwhile to make some phone calls and seek a free consultation. How much is it worth to you to get "this chapter of [your] life closed [and] over so [you] can move on"?