Misstreated_1972

Reverse Discrimination

I am the only Caucasian ( also female ) employee at my work place. ( Discount Store ) The rest are Filipino with the majority being Hispanic. The Hispanics speak both English and Spanish but will speak Spanish among themselves. I know enough Spanish to know when it is being used to exclude myself and non Spanish speaking coworkers from their conversations. The Hispanics will speak Spanish in my presence as well as coworkers and customers. All of upper Management are Hispanic and only Hispanics have been promoted. Not only am I subjected to discrimination but also nepotism. The store Manager has hired her brothers girlfriend and her boyfriends cousin and promoted them both in a weeks time. I am treated very poorly by Hispanic customers who speak very rudely to me for not being fluent in Spanish. My question is " Is any of this behavior illegal and is my only choice of action to resign?

The term "reverse discrimination" has become something of a popular misnomer. Either you've been discriminated against your race or other protected characteristic or not; it's not really "reverse" discrimination.

There's nothing unlawful about nepotism, though an employer's free to have a policy against it.

The rudeness you describe from customers isn't unlawful. You're free to complain to your regional manager and the EEOC about what you consider a hostile work environment from coworkers based on your race, of course.

Thank you for your help. I will do some more research on what is considered a hostile work environment and decide whether the best plan of action is to take my complaint to the regional manager or the EEOC or to merely find another job.