Mysteria319

Terminated from Job for No apparent reason

I was terminated from my job for no apparent reason. I have been working for this company for 4 years. They gave me a letter and informed me my services are no longer needed, They also informed me they will not fight me for unemployment. Since we had hurricane Sandy they didn't give me proper office to work in either. I need to know what to do next, For when I called to speak to the human resources person to find out why she told me for no reason I was fired. This don't make no kind of sense, For it can't be job performace for I had very good job performance.

1 - They don't need a reason. You are likely employed "at will" which means you can be fired for any reason or no reason as long as it doesn't violate any anti discrimination laws.

2 - They did give you a reason. They don't require your services anymore. That's a reason. Might not be a reason that sits well with you but it's still a reason and you aren't entitled to any more than that.

What you do next is file for unemployment and start looking for another job.

This answer is only meant for you if you reside and work in New York State. Unfortunately, New York State is an At-Will Employment State meaning that no reason is required at all to termiante an employee. Often, simple economics is the cause of a lay off or termination. Your next step should be contacting the unemployment agency as soon as possible and revising your resume to optimize your chances of finding employment.

www.QueensEmploymentAttorney.com