harryhouston

Ticket for parking motorcycle on faded yellow lines beside Disabled Parking

Hi,

I had parked my motorcycle beside a disabled parking spot on the yellow lines, but the lines had washed off on the area I had parked.

Also, I wouldn't mind paying the ticket for my unknowing-mistake, but the ticket is for $500! And being an international student on a scholarship, I cannot afford to pay that much! And this is my first offense!

What are your thoughts about contesting it for a lower fine or dismissing it altogether!

Details:-

Parked in- Houston, Texas, at a parking lot in a mall.

The ticket has a check-mark against: "Parked in an handicapped zone"

There are comments in the notes that say: "Parked in reserve access zone - crosswalk aisle for disabled"

I had parked between a car in the disabled-spot, and the end of the curb. The yellow lines ran from the disabled-car spot to only midway to the curb (about 5 feet of the 10 feet distance between car-spot and the curb). I had parked on the other half of that area where the paint was off, the one closer to the curb.

Please let me know if you need any other information, I do have the picture but can't find a way to post it here.

Thank you for your reply, I have read through the page, although it doesn't give enough suggestions about my particular case.

I am still waiting for replies that could help me in my specific situation.

Thanks.

It's not possible to prove much specific comment because there is insufficient information. You did not indicate where this occurred (e.g. city and state) and what state statute or local ordinance you were charged with violating. We also have no details about how exactly you were parked and how the area was marked. Note, though, that generally speaking parking violations have a fixed fine for them, meaning that if you are guilty of the offense the court doesn't have discretion as to what fine to impose — the statute or ordinance simply specifies the amount of the fine.

@Tax_Counsel- thank you for pointing out the blanks, I have edited my post, please advise! Thanks!

By the way, I am thinking of claiming that I mistook the 5 feet wide un-painted strip of land to be a regular motorcycle parking spot, since there were no markings as well as no sign stating otherwise. Do you think this defense will work?

The risk of claiming you made a mistake is that you get told ignorance is no excuse.

I think I'd limit my defense to improperly marked and show the photos.

No guarantee though.