auntiewooby

My rights as an aunt

So my brother has a son and i want to be in his life - the mother will not let either of us see him...she wants a relationship still with my brother. she does very imature stuff and i am at my witts end. I just want to be in this childs life regardless of my brother.... Do I have Any rights?????

AUNTIE WOOBY

You have no intrinsic rights with respect to your nephew, but your brother, the child's father, does. Not sure what you mean when you say the mother wants a relationship with your brother but won't let him see his son, but if you want to see the child your brother must first assert his own parental rights, then he can allow you to see his son on his time. A local family law attorney can help him establish his rights. Good luck!

So my brother has a son and i want to be in his life - the mother will not let either of us see him...she wants a relationship still with my brother.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. First you say "the mother will not let [you or your brother] see [your brother's son," but then you say that the mother "wants a relationship still with [your] brother." Refusing to allow your brother to see the child is rather inconsistent with a desire to have a relationship with your brother.

I just want to be in this childs life regardless of my brother.... Do I have Any rights?

Of course not. It's his child, not yours. And, for that matter, it's not even clear from your post that your brother has any rights regarding the child. Your post isn't clear as to whether your brother and the child's mother are or ever were married. If they never were married, then, in the eyes of the law, only the mother has parental rights until such time as your brother's paternity is established and a custody/visitation order is entered. Has any of that happened? In what state is all this happening?

thanx for responding, is what i thought, and already in motion...documenting every threat, every action, call text message....building a solid picture...just want to be a part of this little guys life

you need to let your brother handle it and stay out of it-issues concerning his son are not your legal business, and itll cause your brother problems

First of all... I am confused, like all the other members, as to why is this lady who still wants a relationship with your brother will deny him to see his own child? And if you are sure that this lady is not a good mother, you can assist your brother to have his custody through an expert who can understand all the complexities and guide you accordingly. But, if your brother is not interested in his child.... then unfortunately you can't do anything about this matter as u don't have any right to do so.