JanetR1965

Car repaired - caught fire on way home and is totalled!!

I had my 1987 Blazer towed to **** for repair because it would stall out on me and would not start. They billed me $1089 for fuel pump. I asked if they could tell if there is any future problems taht could happen and he said "good to go" I get half way home and I smelled gas. When I rolled down my window (thinking it was from outside somewhere) I heard a POP! Smoke starting coming from engine! I pulled over quickly and got out. Fire was coming from the bottom. Within about 20 minues or so the Blazer is fried! I called **** and they sent their tow truck out. But, the city already said their tow truck has tow it. They towed it to **** who said they will pay the tow charges.NOW WHAT? I have no vehicle? Is this something I need a lawyer for? This is my only mode of transportation and I was going to use it on my job (postal delivery). What do I do :(

Edited by FindLaw_AHK
This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator

I asked if they could tell if there is any future problems taht could happen

It's a 25 year old vehicle. Just about anything could happen at any time.

NOW WHAT? I have no vehicle? Is this something I need a lawyer for? This is my only mode of transportation and I was going to use it on my job (postal delivery). What do I do :(

I can't imagine your vehicle could be worth more than a couple thousand. Add the cost of the repairs, and you're looking at maybe $3k in damages at most, so no, I don't think hiring a lawyer would be worthwhile. I agree that you should contact your insurer to see if something like this would be covered (I doubt it, though). If you feel like you can prove this happened because of the repair shop's negligence, give it a shot in small claims court.

It was due to their negligence. Fuel hose probably busted. We have photos of the fire dripping under the blazer before it blew.

Their claims dept already left me a voice mail message of the total loss and offering a rental.

So accept the rental.

Looks like they are going to pay for your car, so what's your issue?

They called after I asked for advice on findlaw. They called and told me to call repair shop, but repair shop is onlly using *&^% rental car agency, which closes by 6pm M-F and Noon on Saturday.

As a mail carrier I had to borrow someone's car, which mailboxes scratched their side mirror. By the time I get off work and return their car - the reantal agency is closed. I will try again on my day off this week, but why am I the one to do without car?

Their faulty repair work fried my transporation.

I am in the process of typing a letter and wondered if there is any advice

If you incur any additional costs due to their negligence you'd be entitled to compensation for "consequential damages" but you might have to sue for it.

I would hold off on the letter till after you get your car back fully repaired and properly functional so you can turn in your rental and quantify your damages.

Then come back to this thread and discuss.