Mr_Squirty

Car purchased with cosigner

I recently in December 2011 financed a car but needed a cosigner. Since then my boyfriend and I have went our seperate ways and now he is threatening to take the car from me. I am the primary owner with the bank where it is financed and have made all the payments and provided a down payment when I purchased the car. I do have proof of all the payments that I have made. he is threatening to get the police involved to take possession of the car. Can he legally do that? Also his name is on the title as secondary owner/lessee but I did put OR instead of AND between our 2 names on the vehicle title. Can he legally come at any time and take possession of the vehicle?

I am the primary owner with the bank. . . . Also his name is on the title as secondary owner/lessee but I did put OR instead of AND between our 2 names on the vehicle title.

I have no idea what you mean by "primary owner" and "secondary owner" or whether those terms have any legal significance in your unidentified state.

It sounds like you both are owners on the title, which means you both have the legal right to possess the vehicle. In other words, it's as much his vehicle as it is yours.

he is threatening to get the police involved to take possession of the car. Can he legally do that?

You'd have to ask your local police whether they'd be willing to get involved in something like that. In the abstract, it is relatively unlikely that they would -- especially since you're on the title.

Can he legally come at any time and take possession of the vehicle?

Yes. As noted above, it's his car as much as it is yours.