kellogg47

Fleet Vehicle Leaving Scene of Accident?

My daughter recently rear ended a slowing/stopped semi truck at 60 mph. She is fine but her car is totaled. Rightly so, my daughter received a ticket for driving too fast for conditions. The driver of the truck never stopped although his truck sustained damage. He called in the accident but continued on his way and received no citation or reprimand for leaving the scene. The State Patrol said fleet vehicles are different than other vehicles but I've never heard of such a thing? Anybody know about this?

I don't understand the point of your question. Could the other driver have been cited for leaving the scene of an accident? Presumably yes (depends on the laws of the unidentified state where this occurred). But so what?

I think I understand what you are asking, but please correct me if I am wrong. The actions of the fleet vehicle would, at most, land him a charge of hit-and-run. Since your daughter was at-fault and uninjured, you don't have any claim that would warrant legal action. The driver's decision to leave the scene in no way harmed your daughter or created extra expenses for you. If she permanently injured, you could file a personal injury claim. If the truck had hit your daughter, you could file a claim to have his insurance company pay for the cost of the loss of the vehicle. To put it simply, you need to have suffered damages to need to bring the law into play in this situation. Hopefully you have good insurance to help with your loss and a good police force to assure the truck driver is caught so his stupidity and ignorance doesn't result in anyone else being harmed.

If she permanently injured, you could file a personal injury claim.

Huh? The poster would have no standing here unless the daughter is a minor, which the original post does not indicate. Also, since the poster's daughter appears to have been completely at fault, even if she were injured (which seems fairly likely since she was going 60mph), there'd be no viable claim (whether the injuries are "permanent" or otherwise is irrelevant).

Hopefully you have . . . a good police force to assure the truck driver is caught so his stupidity and ignorance doesn't result in anyone else being harmed.

Again, huh? It appears from the original post that no citation for leaving the scene was or will be issued. Even if the driver were cited for leaving the scene, how do you suppose that might prevent "anyone else ["else"?] [from] being harmed" by the other driver's alleged "stupidity and ignorance? As you yourself said, "The driver's decision to leave the scene in no way harmed [the poster's] daughter."